Granted, a little belly fat is good for you. After all, it provides a protective cushion around your vital organs. However, any more than that and it will cause trouble. Unfortunately, if you already have a bit too much of belly fat, then you might find it notoriously difficult to get rid of it. If you are already there, then here are 10 reasons why you might be finding it difficult to get rid of the stubborn fat.
1. Are you on a low fat diet? Ironically, eating some of the good fats actually helps you lose fat. As per a recent research, a 1600 calorie diet rich in MUFA (monounsaturated fatty acids) may help you lose more belly fat. What’s rich in MUFA? Try nuts, avocado, and olive oil.
2. Snacking out of the box, are we? Food rich in simple carbs (like chips) and sugars (like sodas) cause spikes in blood sugar levels, which in turn releases insulin. This hormone makes your liver store more fat around the midsection. Add more veggies to your diet and cut out the chips and sugary drinks to reduce stomach fat.
3. Are you depressed? Depression may make you eat more and reach for unhealthy snacks more often. Seek a therapist and exercise everyday to bring your fat levels.
4. Do you guzzle diet sodas? Scientists have found that people drinking these believe they are saving on calories and end up overeating. The low calorie level in diet drinks only works if you keep the rest of your calorie intake within healthy limits.
5. How much magnesium do you take? A 2013 study found that those who consumed magnesium rich foods more often had lower blood sugar and insulin levels. Nosh on bananas, chomp on leafy greens and pop some soybeans into your mouth at mealtimes.
6. Are you eating meals that are pretty much beige in colour? Bread and fish/meat are well and good in smaller quantities. However, to blast belly fat, you need to add color to your meals. The more multicoloured your dishes are, the better. Try bell peppers, carrots, leafy greens, and of course, fruits.
7. Relying on fast food for proteins? Burgers, while rich in proteins, are major contributors to belly fat, mostly due to the presence of simple carbs and saturated fats. Have some fatty fish once a week, and the rest of the time, go for simple proteins like fish and legumes.
8. Not a fan of yoga? Indulging in an hour or two of this can actually help reduce belly fat and help you relax. If you simply cannot find any interest in it, at least try spending time on some pleasurable activity that involves a lot of movement.
9. Enjoying a glass of red wine? That is well and good, but be sure to keep your total intake low. A 2013 Danish study found beer intake closely linked to accumulation belly fat.
10. Are you exercising right? High intensity cardio followed by a little rest, or high intensity interval sessions punctuated with low intensity sessions seem to be the best at helping you get rid of those love handles.
On a final note, do not ignore fat burner supplements. True, simply having these and staying on a high fat diet and sedentary lifestyle won’t benefit you much. However, exercising, having a healthy diet and having a few supplements every day might just help you get rid of that last annoying ounce of belly fat.